Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Three Years Old: Where Do We Go


from here?


Image courtesy of basictextures.com


Last year at this time I reflected on how the benefits of blogging had far exceeded the expectations I had when I began blogging: it has been and continues to be a great way to get in touch with other researchers, make my research available to family members, benefit from other genealogy bloggers who comment and share their experience, and simply have fun.

But for a couple of months I have been thinking about ways to refocus my research, which mostly means doing more research. Some of the extra time will come out of my blogging time. I do not intend to blog less or to stop writing some posts just for enjoyment (SNGF, selected memes, “spouting off” (= reflecting, ranting, recollecting)), but I would like to write more posts focused on research.

The main casualty will probably be my Follow Friday posts (even though I enjoy writing them), since they take a lot of time; the past few weeks, which have been characterized by a much better balance between blogging and research, have confirmed that this is a better approach. Still, I’ll probably write a few Follow Fridays from time to time; it’s hard to resist when there is so much good genea-blog reading out there.  (And you can always check out "Greta K.'s Starred Items" at the lower left to see what I recommend - I resolve to be more consistent in using it when I read blogs).

And, to repeat what I said for my second blogoversary post, I would like to thank all my readers, commenters, and fellow genealogy bloggers who make every day an adventure in reading and learning.

28 comments:

  1. Happy blogoversary, Greta! I enjoy following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greta, It's been a joy to read your posts and to get to know you. I'm so glad you're going to continue on with more focus on your research. Although I'd love to hear a rant from time-to-time. Congratulations on making it three years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy blogoversary! You are an inspiration for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on another milestone, Greta! You've been an joy and inspiration to me (and many others). I'll certainly miss the Follow Friday posts, but more than understand the desire to focus on your own research. You've been doing great stuff with the Koehls! Wishing you many more years of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy blogoversary Greta! I will miss your Follow Friday posts but enjoy your research time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Greta, and Happy Blogoversary! I've missed your "Follow Friday" posts but understand why you aren't doing them because they do take a lot of time to create. I do enjoy reading your "bog" and look forward to many more great posts, rants, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Happy Blogoversary to You"! Congratulations on three years of wonderful blogging. May you enjoy many many more!

    Cheers to you,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greta,

    Happy 3rd blogiversary to you! The best part of your post is that you will be continuing to blog! Many successes in your future.Look forward to hearing more about your own research!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy 3rd Blogiversary, Greta. While I will miss your Follow Friday posts, I know that whatever material you post will be fun and interesting. Looking forward to what future blogging has in store.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy anniversary, Greta. I think 3 is a huge milestone! Congratulations on reaching it. I think there's always the problem of time and how to "spend" it for genealogy bloggers: research or blogging. It's hard to give both full justice, though you do a good job of it, Greta! I know whatever you choose to do will be a blessing to others. Thanks for all you share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Blogiversary Greta! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, Greta, on reaching the big 3. I can understand your wish for a better blogging/research balance, but look forward to still reading your posts on your activities.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy 3rd!

    I enjoy reading whatever you write, so just blog til your heart's content...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Blogoversary. Gald you will keep blogging

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy blogoversary!! Three times over! Congrats. Cannot wait to read what you turn up next in your research! WAHHOOOOO. Now

    Carry on - - -

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your 3rd blogoversary, Greta! You're a great inspiration, and I wish you the best with your research!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HAPPY BLOGAVERSARY TO YOU, HAPPY BLOGAVERSARY TO YOU, HAPPY BLOGAVERSARY DEAR GREEEEETTTTAAAA, HAPPY BLOGAVERSARY TO YOUUUU!

    Hip Hip Huree - You are also three!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy belated blogversary - here's to another year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you all for your kind wishes, and thank you also for teaching me so much and providing so much reading pleasure. I consider it an honor to be regarded as your colleague.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations!

    And good for you for making adjustments to your routine so you have time for research. After all, that's why we're all here.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kerry - Thank you for your encouragement. The odd thing is that I can actually blog more now that I'm not doing that Friday post, but now I'm trying to use posts to help organize the research I've done.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your blog and anticipate many more years of it. Please do spout off as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy blogoversary! Love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy blogiversary Greta! Thanks for another year of good reading.

    ReplyDelete