Friday, April 24, 2009

Who Is Your Oldest Living Relative (Friday Fun from Wendy)

An idea from Wendy Littrell at All My Branches Genealogy

You know, I hadn’t actually ever stopped to consider this question before now. I know that only one of my parents' siblings is still alive (my father's youngest brother, my Uncle Bill, who is 74); however, it turns out that he is not my oldest living relative. (Of course, this doesn't count distant relatives, and I do have a 3rd cousin once removed that I correspond with who is in his late 80s.) My oldest relative is a cousin who is the daughter of my Dad’s and Uncle Bill’s oldest sister. I have never met this cousin.

I hope to devote several posts to Uncle Bill at some point, because he has lived quite a life and has provided me with a lot of information during our telephone calls. He was also very generous in sharing information with my younger daughter when she interviewed him for a school history project. He even remembers my great-grandmother Lizzie Brinlee and my Grandma Sallie Brinlee’s parents, William Henry “Jack” Norman and Sara Jane Sisson Norman. I remember Uncle Bill from the time I was very small, and he and my father apparently shared a lot of adventures in their youth. He traveled to many parts of the of the Pacific rim when he was in the Navy and saw a lot of the US Southwest when he was working in construction.

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read your posts about your Uncle Bill! Thanks for using "Friday Fun" to post about your oldest living relative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think of my oldest living relatives-I always think I should ask them to record their memories into a recorder for me-I just hate to think of loosing all their knowledge and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lots of stories about Uncle Bill - he and my Dad got up to all sorts of mischief. We do have one recording of him; when my daughter interviewed him we put the phone on speaker and recorded the interview.

    ReplyDelete