Monday, March 9, 2009

Brothers and Sisters: Louis Boone, Elizabeth Anne “Doll,” and Ambert Hatler Brinlee


The word prompt for the 11th Edition of Smile For The Camera is brothers & sisters? Were they battling brothers, shy little sisters, or was it brother & sister against the world? Our ancestors often had only their siblings for company. Were they best friends or not? Show us that picture that you found with your family photographs or in your collection that shows your rendition of brothers & sisters. Bring them to the carnival and share. Admission is free with every photograph!

Pictured above are three of my grandfather Lawrence Carroll Brinlee’s older half-siblings: from left to right, Louis Boone Brinlee (1882-1957), Elizabeth Anne “Doll” Brinlee (1866-1950), and Ambert Hatler Brinlee (1878-1964). You may remember “Doll” from my last Smile for the Camera entry; she was one of the two lovely young ladies in enormous hats in Smile for the Camera: Doll Brinlee and Nina Pounds. Doll, Bert, and Louis were three of the eight children of my great-grandfather Hiram Carroll “Dink” Brinlee, Jr. and his first wife, Diza Caroline Boone, a great-granddaughter of Daniel Boone. My grandfather was the oldest child of Hiram and Susan Elizabeth “Lizzie” Smith Bonner Brinlee. My uncle says that he was always very fond of his half-brother Louis.

I love the smiles on the three siblings’ faces in this photograph, the somewhat self-conscious stance of the two men, the disparity in height between Louis and Ambert, and most of all the family resemblance – you did notice those ears, didn’t you?

3 comments:

  1. the resemblence in the two men is incredible, although one is seemingly MUCH taller than the other - their smiles are the same and those chins! What a great shot! You can almost picture them as small children, the sister poking fun at the shorter of them and grinning at him. great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of my family...two brothers and me, the older sister and of course, I NEVER picked on them....LOL I bet Doll never did either! Thanks for sharing your family photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, those Brinlee genes are very strong. My ears are not that big, but they're not too small, either! I get the feeling that Doll was pretty sharp and could probably have manipulated her brothers when she wanted to. Thank you for your comments!

    ReplyDelete